Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How to Extend the Life of Your Hair Extensions

I get asked all the time about my hair extensions, because I am known for making them last a long time. Weave is expensive so I want to help all of my ladies out there with some tips on how to get the most bang for your buck.


*In the picture above, the day before I deep conditioned and my extensions were as good as new. I have had them for 2 months now.

Step 1: The Hair
It is very important when wearing hair extensions to get good quality hair. This step alone can increase your style for up to 2 months. I typically stick with Remy hair but brands like Duvessa and Bobbi Boss are great too. DO NOT buy $15 hair and expect it to last 2 months !!! You will stretch your dollar more if you invest in bags starting at $30 and up. 

Step 2: The Products
When you first get your extensions it is best not to put anything on them. I'm serious. If it is good quality hair it will not need anything for the first month but for you to wrap it up at night. Once your weave starts to get a little older you will probably notice a little shedding or tangling. Here are some products that will help with day to day styling after the first month:

MIZANI D'TANGLE MOISTURIZING LEAVE-IN MILK $15
This stuff is amazing! I have used it for a long time and I am in love it. You can use it while your hair is dry or damp (you get the best results when used damp though) and i just make your hair soft and more manageable. Best of all it is not a greasy product. NOBODY likes greasy weave.

KERA CARE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR THE HAIR $18
When I first started using this product I didn't like it, but then I realized it was because I was using wayyy too much at one time. This serum works wonders for weave (or even your natural hair) because it gives your hair that shine without weighing it down. But you only need about 2 drops of this product, anymore than that your hair will look greasy. 
*I only use this product on my hair once every other week. 

OLIVE OIL REPLENISHING PAK $2 
This stuff is soooooo good and probably the most important product of them all. I deep condition my hair every 2 weeks. After shampooing my hair (the brand is not important) I put the conditioner ONLY on the middle to ends of my hair. You do not want to deep condition the top because this causes the braids to loosen more quickly. After that I put on a shower cap and let it sit for about an hour. The key as well is the way you wash it out. I wash the conditioner out going from the middle to end. I don't scrunch it or rustle it. Just go in a smooth motion from middle to end until all of the conditioner is out. You can also apply the MIZANI D'TANGLE after this step.

Step 3: Maintenance  
Even with the best sew ins, your hair will grow and the braids will eventually get loose. When this happens to me, usually around the second month I go to my stylist and let her tighten up a few tracks. It is pretty inexpensive and well worth the extra month or two you get out of the style.

I hope you all found this post helpful! I am a weave-aholic so if you have any other questions just leave me comments. Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all of your lovely comments and feedback. Don't be shy, send me some love. It'll make my day. Love, Ash <3

P.S. Please leave your blog link so I can follow, I love being inspired by other fashionistas.